TRANSFORMING MENTAL HEALTH FOR YOUNG PEOPLE
PRIDE is a five-year research program seeking to develop psychosocial interventions for school-going adolescents aged 11-19 years with mental health problems in India.
The global population of young people exceeds one billion; of whom 356 million are in India. Depressive, anxiety and conduct disorders (the ‘common mental disorders’) account for over 75% of the burden of mental disorders in this age group. A large body of evidence suggests that psychological treatments are effective for treating mental disorders in adolescents – however, the vast majority of young people do not receive these treatments (for reasons including the availability of only non-specialised health workers, cultural explanations, and low demand for mental health care).
The goal of PRIDE is to develop and evaluate a psychosocial intervention program consisting of three interventions for common mental health problems:
- A self-help intervention delivered through a workbook.
- A self-help intervention delivered through a mobile app.
- A psychological intervention delivered by counsellors.
The project involves three phases over five years from 2016-2020:
- Intervention Design and Development: Theoretical framework development and design of the three interventions.
- Evaluation: Randomised Controlled Trials evaluating the effectiveness of the three interventions in reducing symptom severity and improving recovery rates.
- Scale Up: Planning the scale-up of the intervention through public and private school systems.
OUR PUBLIC ENGAGEMENT WORK
Our public engagement initiative, “It’s Ok To Talk” aims to enable a dialogue with young people around issues related to mental health through digital and community-based activities.The project launched a website www.itsoktotalk.in as a platform dedicated to encouraging young people to share their experiences of mental health.
Prof Vikram Patel | firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Daniel Michelson | email@example.com
Dr Kanika Malik | firstname.lastname@example.org
New Delhi: C-1/52, First Floor, SDA, New Delhi, India,
Goa: H No 451 (168), Bhatkar Waddo, Socorro,
Porvorim, Bardez, Goa 403501, India
email@example.com | www.sangath.in | www.itsoktotalk.in